Clean plate syndrome

I need to order less food when I go out to eat. I ordered to much tonight, and I ate it all because I didn’t want to waste any of it by throwing it away. I credit this gift of clean plates to my father who ingrained it into my childhood, it’s not altogether a bad thing, but man, I feel sick right now.

I don’t think I ever got a system like that, mostly I just grinned and bared it. But then again we didn’t eat liver frequently.

Yeah, my house is something like that, but I have a blackhole/cast-iron stomach and usually manage to eat everything (with the exception of certain veggies and bannanas). My sister is the complete opposite. She eats almost nothing (quantity wise and what-she-will-eat wise) Seriously, she has the same thing everyday, she is so picky. For instance there is this one cheese (can’t remember what it is) that she will only eat with black forest ham from longos (even though all black forest hams taste the same) on a lightly toasted bun with a single leaf of iceberg lettuce (and only iceberg) and some margerine. she will eat it no other way. Holy crap it pisses me off.

2 of my sisters work in day care centers and they read studies that if you force a kid to eat all the food on their plate when they are younger they lose their ability to know when they are full and/or feel obligated to eat everything. This can indeed cause them to become overweight so it is not a recommended method to enforce on your children.

When I watch my niece I make sure she eats at least more than half of her meal (preferably 3/4) before she can say she is done… and I only do that because she has a habit of saying she is full when she isn’t just because she wants to get up and play.

My dad used to make us stay at the table until we were finished everything on our plate. Needless to say I used to be at the table until like 10pm… hehe.

[edit]whippersnapper: is that you in your avatar? you look a lot like a friend of mine… hehe… I keep pulling double takes[/edit]

your niece wouldn’t say she was full, when she wasn’t, if she had to go hungry until the next meal, and understood the correlation…

I mean one night of hunger will prob stop that all together…

Then again, I don’t believe in kids eating within 2.5 hours of bedtime, so there is little time for them to snack anyway in my world (notice there are no kids in my world)…

Rev

i love liver. tasteeeee. even though i’m a vegetarian, i’d still eat liver.

*Originally posted by Phil Jayhan *
**Holy Crap it pisses me off as well; Who the hell does she think she is anyways? Iceberg lettuce? I would love to see her go through phinacial diphiculties or become a nun or a missionary to the starving in Aphrica;

The she would be phorced to eat at least some of the gruel that is given to the masses (lilliputians)…**

Yeah, my new method to get her to eat is to call her picky (which she hates, “I am not picky!” she will yell back. Gives me a kick each time. Its funny) Its funny, she will try and say I am picky too because I hate bannana’s, beans (acctually most green vegtables, but I will eat them if I am told to), and how I don’t like cooked mushrooms. But what cracks me up is that she uses the same examples every time because those are the only things I don’t like. There are very few things I wont eat unless told to, and even fewer I wont eat ever (you know, things like: insects)

By the way, she is 10.

*Originally posted by lostinbeta *
**2 of my sisters work in day care centers and they read studies that if you force a kid to eat all the food on their plate when they are younger they lose their ability to know when they are full and/or feel obligated to eat everything. This can indeed cause them to become overweight so it is not a recommended method to enforce on your children.

When I watch my niece I make sure she eats at least more than half of her meal (preferably 3/4) before she can say she is done… and I only do that because she has a habit of saying she is full when she isn’t just because she wants to get up and play.

My dad used to make us stay at the table until we were finished everything on our plate. Needless to say I used to be at the table until like 10pm… hehe.

[edit]whippersnapper: is that you in your avatar? you look a lot like a friend of mine… hehe… I keep pulling double takes[/edit] **

I don’t believe it’s a completely bad practice to clean your plate. None of my brothers are over weight, but this does not make a scientific study or anything. My youngest brother has a hard time finishing meals because he wants to play or because he fills up on popsicles all day. But this will change when my dad gets home and lays down the law on that 8 year old.

The picture is me, albeit younger 3 or 4 years ago, maybe more.

Pinx,
Vegitarianism falls into that category if you ask me. If you are a vegitarian by choice (not throught religion) then I think there is a bit of a problem. Humans were made to eat animals (and plants) and animals are good eatin! I love chicken/beef/turkey/lamb they all taste good.

I dunno about bears. Never tried them. I’ll give them my 4 point inspection:

Have plenty of fur/feathers:
Look meaty/juicy/tender:
Have enough to supply min. 1 meal:
Sold on general market:

3 out of 4: Theoretically, it should taste good!

*Originally posted by Coppertop *
**Pinx,
Vegitarianism falls into that category if you ask me. If you are a vegitarian by choice (not throught religion) then I think there is a bit of a problem. Humans were made to eat animals (and plants) and animals are good eatin! I love chicken/beef/turkey/lamb they all taste good. **

I don’t think vegitarianism is that bad, it is just deciding to not eat certain types of meat, like most people opt not to eat certain vegetables. Vegetarians can eat fish, and seafood, and eggs. Now veganism is just wierd, they can’t even eat honey.

Oh. Opps.

Beers? nah, I prefer Smirnoff Ice. Them russians make a good brew.

Alligator is the best food. It tastes kinda like chicken, but it’s juicier and much better.

And phil, i never posted in this thread before now. Stay off the “stuff” for a while.

*Originally posted by Whippersnapper *
**I don’t think vegitarianism is that bad, it is just deciding to not eat certain types of meat, like most people opt not to eat certain vegetables. Vegetarians can eat fish, and seafood, and eggs. Now veganism is just wierd, they can’t even eat honey. **

I don’t think vegitarians are bad, just weird.

Veganism. Yeah, thats weird.

When you don’t eat meat, you get the disease called veginism. First you start getting these little things on your body, then after a longer time you just grow into this huge one.

Haha, thats like from south park.

What would you bet?

Ouch.

How bout enough to remove that left nut?

People who don’t like vegeterian foods are usually those that think vegeterian food is nothing more than tofu and lettuce. If you ever eat at many asian restaurants, many of the vegeterian foods can be made to taste good, etc.

If countries in Asia such as Japan, China, India, etc. eat a lot of vegeterian food and yet, for the most part, are generally healthier and less obese than the meat eating people in our jolly little hemisphere, I think the problem lies with the carnivores and not with the vegeterians :wink:

I can eat both vegeterian and non-vegeterian - depending upon where I am and what my options are :skull:

Rev