PCs vs. Macs -- The Showdown!

dan where the hell did you get 2100? aren’t you only like 13 or 14? when I was 14 i was lucky if I had 5 dollars…(yeah i know i make it sound like i’m an old man…“And I had to walk uphill to school…both ways…with no shoes…and no feet!”)\r\r\rI’m really hungry…I just thought you all would want to konw that. I get to meet my g/f’s parents today! YAY! It should be interesting since her father doesn’t really speak english all that well, and the last time I checked the only thing I knew how to say in Polish was “nice shoes want to f*&k” (which I can say in 7 languages, 8 if you count sign-language)

>>>personaly I wouldn’t use a compaq to prop open my door.

roflmao

Definitely agree with you on that one upuaut.

I used to work at Compaq here in Houston and it was insanity.

One of the supervisors called my parents (which didn’t make much sense since I wasn’t living with them) and told them that I cussed him out and cussed out a security guard on my way out and that I shouldn’t bother coming in the next day. Which, of course, kind-hearted little old me would never do.

It was quite odd. I had only been there like three or four weeks and was doing fine, no problems.

Oh well, their management is about as efficient as their computers.

t2d

I will have to agree with that quote also. I HATE COMPAQS everything about them is bad, even the name! :slight_smile: I have upgraded the hard drive, added in 256 mb of ram, upgraded it to windows xp, and it is still a piece of crap. I prefer calling it the “Crapaq” it is catchy isn’t it :slight_smile: . I love the new mac, and I can’t wait to get something that doens’t freeze up everytime I use 3d studio max!! :lol:

-Dan :expressionless:

personally i wont to know how to say “nice shoes, wanna f&*k” in seven different languages

can ya write em down please…

:smiley:

TDF

Well, see, I got $2100 saved up for a comp…that is the 800mHz g4 power mac, and money is still coming in. It will be nice for a change not working on graphics and design on my piece of crap 433 mHz compaq… ** Dan**

'The hell? $2100 for a 800 mHz? Wow, Macs really are expensive… My computer’s 1.4 gHz and only cost about $1900 Canadian AND I bought it about a year ago when 1.4 gHz was more impressive…

Dan: where the hell did you get 2100? aren’t you only like 13 or 14? when I was 14 i was lucky if I had 5 dollars…(yeah i know i make it sound like i’m an old man…"And I had to walk uphill to school…both ways…with no shoes…and no feet!") ** Jubba**

Ditto. There’s been very few moments in my life when I’ve had much more than ten cents.

Personally, I wouldn’t use a compaq to prop open my door. ** Upuat**

Probably a good idea. I’ve had a couple of Compaqs in the past and none of them have been all that reliable… Still, so far I’ve had two reliable computers: my Tandy 2000 and my Dell now that it has Windows XP. And the Dell with Windows XP has started going really slow at precaching and that type of thing ever since Windows XP was installed, so it isn’t without flaws even if it doesn’t crash.

… the only thing I knew how to say in Polish was “nice shoes want to f*&k” (which I can say in 7 languages, 8 if you count sign-language). ** Jubba**

There’s a practical talent.

I’m so ashamed… All I can do is recite the first 15 digits of pi (3.141592653589793) off by heart…

Thats how i picked up one of my g/fs…she was deaf…so I used that pick up line.

ya got to admitt that macs are the best performNCE macs win not doubt but when it comes to programs and hard ware combaibility pc’s win no doubt but you are all forgetting about linux and unix (linux will prevail) www.linuxwillprevail.com linux is the best there is at the time it is just a under dog and is not that well heard of but will be heard of because compaq is starting to manufacturing them and is coming to a city near you! ; so watch out suckas!

We just installed virtual PC on my fiance’s G4 single processor machine, Now we’re working on the harddrive to make a partition NTFS for window’s xp… should be fun to play around with. It shows though… even the not so top of the line MAC’s are really quite powerful. The architecture of the processor is just plain superior.
Granted MAC has had it’s little one hit blunders in the past as well.

The Compaq is a dumb machine… though even that, if you had 30 hooked together using UNIX software would be mighty powerful.
Anyone seen a “Grendel” yet? 25 8086’s hooked together using basic radioshack cost cabling. It runs UNIX on all the processors at once, or something like that. It’s a supercomputer.
I know my company was selling 300 Compaq over the last 4 years. We sold them to schools and such for write offs, but I am kicking myself now that I didn’t get in on the deal. I think they were going for 50 bucks a piece. Employees could pick them up for 35. I’d hate the machine, but I’ll bet I could have made a pretty cool server unit out of 30 of those. :slight_smile:

Whoa dan - where did you get that kind of bread! I’m worth about the amount you have but multiply it by -2! Do you sell crack in the streets? Do tell us!

Ok - here’s another argument against the Mac: members.truepath.com/obje…ganda.html

Scroll down to “Apple Macintosh.”

Ok, and I am posting to clear up your comments about how expensive macs are for what seems like “slow processing speed”. First of all, with a mac, you take the 800 mHz comp that I am getting, and double the proccesing speed to get you into relation to the pentium (it might be more than 2x, I will have to check on that one). Second of all, any apple computer is a rock solid machine…it doens’t crash, and I haven’t seen one apple computer that froze :slight_smile: ! Third of all, the ram is also better than regular PC ram. I had like 10 programs running on an 800mHz g4 mac, and it still ran like there was no tommorow. Yes macs are expensive, but you pay good money for a good computer don’t you!

By the way, I got the $2250 (now it is $2250) from $450 in the bank from First Communion, my dad gave me $1000 twards the mac, I racked up $100 worth of change from lunch money (oh crap), and I just had my Confirmation, and I made $550 from that, and I had some exta bills floating around in my room.

PS: I think that this is my first big post :slight_smile: !

Whoa - that is a big post dan! At any rate, I agree with you about the Mac - you pay a lot but you get a lot. I worked on a G4 for my digital imaging class and that thing ran so smoothly even with all sorts of applications running.

I am so sorry, but I have found the best PC!! Screw the mac…check out this loaded PC!!

-Pentium 4 processor 2.4GHz
-400MHz Front Side bus
-512MB DDR266 SDRAM
-100GB 7200RPM hard disk drive
-16x max. speed DVD-ROM drive
-24x10x40 CD-RW drive
-SoundMAX 3D audio
-128MB GeForce4Ti 4600 AGP card
-V.90 Conexant based PCI modem
-Intel 10/100 LAN
-Microsoft Windows XP Professional restore CD
-1 Year Limited Warranty with On Site Hardware Service

(No screen included)

FOR ONLY $1999 OH $HIT!!! ONLY $1999

It was hard to relize that this was a LOADED PC, and (sorry ReniassanceGirl) kicked the mac’s @$$. If I was planning to get the dual 1GHz mac, it would be a different story though…but then, I don’t have a $hit load of money, only a cr@p load :slight_smile: . I couldn’t turn this deal down. I still give A LOT of credit to mac computers though :wink: !

Welcome back to the light side, Dan.

Just wait and watch - you’ll see they’re ALL like that. It’s a beautiful world, isn’t it, Dan? $2000 can easily get you a top of the line P.C. . . . Heavenly, no?

One of us! One of us! One of us!

… oh, wait. I wasn’t totally opposed to Macs. I just thought they were best for graphic design whereas a P.C.'s good for everything else…

One of them! One of them! One of them!

…and what a buttiful (beautiful) world it is liveacoustic!

-Dan :slight_smile:

that still doesnt’ kick the Mac’s ass. It’s just a good deal. :slight_smile:

you can’t convince me guys. I’ve seen both run the same software side by side. I’ve used both machines in my home for years now. When you have a G4 and your PC on a network in your home for a while, come back and we’ll talk. :wink:

Hey Dave-
Can you please tell me how to say ‘Nice shoes, wanna @#%$’ in Chinese? You’ll be a lifesaver man…

pj
:lol:

that was me. and I don’t know chinese.

OK upuauti, I need some advice on this one…I LOVE the mac OSX, but I love this PC too. Practically all I do on my computer is flash, photoshop, 3dsmax, and sometimes play games (Max Payne, Starcraft, etc.) Now, I only can afford the 800MHz mac with nothing upgraded, with a 15 inch screen. I also can afford the top of the line computer with the same money, and still have $100 or so dollars to spare. What computer is right for me?! I LOVE macs, and PCs are ok too. I am just worried about the mac because I am afraid that the 800MHz is a little too slow, even if it is a G4 processor…please help me upuauti!! :slight_smile:

The speed isn’t apocolyptic. Hell, at this point I’m pretty convinced that they’ve never actually changed the processor speed of computers, they’ve just put a signal in the faster processors telling the computer that it’s compatitble with all this crap and the other, secretly equally as powerful but differently labeled, processors are not.

Get the Mac, especially if you’re just doing graphic design. It might not be as compatible with games, but it won’t crash and I’m pretty sure Starcraft and Max Payne are both available for Mac now anyway.