Pixel art

Pixel art this, pixel art that… All I hear about is pixel art. So what is it? [SIZE=1]I’m such an ignorant…[/SIZE] Anyone knows good sites using it?

pom :asian:

Pixel Art is basically what it sounds like - a form of artwork that is created pixel by pixel from scratch. I think pixel artists tend to ignore all the flashy effects and filters that applications like Photoshop have nowadays, and just use their own skill with colour and a mouse to create pieces.

I’ve tried it, and it’s a very timeconsuming process, working pixel by pixel. It made my eyes go square. And don’t even think about trying to make a large picture because it would drive you crazy.

The stuff has a tendency to look like characters or whatever taken from old computer games, quite blocky in a sense.

Is that any help? :slight_smile:

It does. So if it uses pixels, it can’t be done directly with Flash, right? It’s only imported.

Well, MX has got that ‘Snap To Pixel’ option on it, hasn’t it? So theoretically if you zoom in close enough you might be able to do it. It’s whether the brushes will go that fine and all… I can’t say I’ve ever tried it in Flash though. Things like Paint or Photoshop will do it fine.

Wow this takes so much time! Everytime I try do draw a line, it takes 20 minutes!! So maybe you can help me: Is there a way to get a -pixel line with PS7? I was told to uncheck the anti-aliasing, but there’s no anti-asliasing checkbox…

The stuff has a tendency to look like characters or whatever taken from old computer games, quite blocky in a sense.
Not quite right, Pixel art is also refered to as freestyle. Pixel art is as you mentioned a image drawn pixel by pixel. But it does not mean it has to look like a old space invaders bob/sprite.

It often has antialiasing, and different dither techniques.

Lazur’s art work is a great example of just how good some people are at freestyle.

Wow, those are really excellent. I don’t mean to be rude, but if you ask me it looks like he drew the picture and then used the Pixelate filter in Photoshop.

I am not saying he did, but if he didn’t then I have to give him major credit for that work.

True, true.

I was generalising a bit when I said pixel art has a tendency to look like 80’s computer games. Most of the work I’ve seen has been along those kind of lines. But of course there are many many people out there who do different things. Talented people, to a man. :slight_smile:

Hmm… I’ll check that pixellate filter…

Here is another site that has some of the best pixel art (the un-anti-aliased kind).

Eboy

The eCities are astounding.

<B>BEWARE:</B> That site does contain <I>some</I> pixel nudity and pixel violence. No lie, I didn’t mean to offend anyone with this link, but the pixel work is amazing.

mmm…pixel p0rn…

1st post! who hah!

Well I was hoping for a little more maturity than that, but I guess that is what I get. That site is not all “p0rn”, there are just some things on there that are questionable(?). It is his right to put what he wants on his site though so I am not going to argue it. I still think his pixel art is amazing, especially the eCities.

*Originally posted by lostinbeta *
maturity

oh relax, i was just kiddin!

i do love his art though.

:slight_smile: Thats more like it…haha.

:stuck_out_tongue:

**Wow, those are really excellent. I don’t mean to be rude, but if you ask me it looks like he drew the picture and then used the Pixelate filter in Photoshop.

I am not saying he did, but if he didn’t then I have to give him major credit for that work. **
While I understand the Photoshop generation struggling to get to grips with freestyle, one must remember that before Photoshop’s advanced paintbrush/airbrush tools were around, graphicians (computer artists) had paint programs that could only draw pixel by pixel. This lead to friendly competitions to see who could out do each other. The majority of Lazur’s work was done in either 32, 128, or 256 colours. Not the millions of colours that are available now.

Some of the best graphicians were R.W.O., Uno, Facet, and Alex. There are many, many others.

Click Here and take that image into Photoshop. Zoom in, and you’ll see the anti-aliasing, and dithering is structured, and that some of the reflecting light (like the small white square on the gun scope near the helmet is just a perfect square, it has no anti-alias. If it was done using a Photoshop filter, it would have been slightly blurred (anti-aliased) at the edges.

There are still people today who do pixel art, simply because it gives a much bigger challenge, and the final outcome is much more rewarding.

I was generalising a bit when I said pixel art has a tendency to look like 80’s computer games. Most of the work I’ve seen has been along those kind of lines. But of course there are many many people out there who do different things. Talented people, to a man.
Yeah, most people today only see the computer pop-art (like you said pixel art that looks all blocky), it’s a shame many have no idea what people use to do before Photoshop, and thus some of the greatest graphicians in the world are forgotten. People would be shocked, if todays painters didn’t know who the classic painters were.

Hey, I never said it wasn’t true, I just stated what it looked like to me. I do know that before Photoshop people did art pixel by pixel. And I am sure if I owned a computer for more than the 4 years that I have that I would have tried it out myself.

His work is amazing and he deserves credit for doing that pixel by pixel. Don’t forget, many game designers still do pixel by pixel drawings and animations so I know it isn’t impossible. I personally don’t have the patience to do works like that pixel by pixel, it would drive me nuts.

As for my personal taste, I prefer the blocky look. That is just me though, maybe it is because I grew up playing with Legos or something. Both types of pixel art deserve proper respect though.

Hey lostinbeta, I adore your Flash banner. Easy on the eyes, and fun to play with.

Sorry, wasn’t mean to sound like I was attacking you, just though I’d give anyone who was interested a short lesson. :slight_smile:

Have you seen pixel art using the chunky pixel technique? It’s sort of like a cross between blocky, and structured dithering. I think the first time it was used was in the very early 90’s, on a Sylvester Stalone portraite. That shook the graphician community I tell ya.

Hey, thanks about the Flash Footer.

Also, thanks for the lesson. It was very informative and sorry I took it the wrong way. I would love to do pixel art if I have the patience too. I actually did one pixel thing when I first got my computer and discovered MS PAINT (I Know, I learned computers real late, I think I was 15 or 16). I never finished it because I just didn’t have the time.

One method of pixel art (?not sure if it is) that I like is when they make an entire picture out of miniature pictures. It is hard to explain. I have seen one on the cover of a Playstation Magazine where it had Lara Croft that looked like the cover from far away, but as you got closer you could see it was really a bunch of smaller (10px x 10px ?) images of her from the games that constructed the big picture. I thought it was amazing.

**an entire picture out of miniature pictures. **

yyyeaaaah like a big mosaic! theres software that’ll do that for you, though i cant remember any specifics. never tried them but ive heard they work great. i love the effect…you can find entire art books showcasing that stuff. its good stuff.

oh yeah, im totally lost in beta. :slight_smile: