Possible to simple render high quality shiny metal texture without Vray/Brazil/FR?

Wow that was specific…

Anyways just like the title says.

Click Me

And Me

Don’t Forget About Me

Some examples of shiny texture. Is it possible to make those one colored shiny textures in max6 without buying vray/brazil/final render?

Is there like no hope for the scanline renderer :P? I know BB uses only the scanline but eilsoe and flashlevel on the other hand use vray and whip out impossible shiznit…

You can, but you will not get close to the realism. Because of radiosity and all the other stuff you can play with in 3rd party renderers. If you have max 6 I believe you should have MR. Sorry not much help I have not cracked open max in a while (SInce LW ships with the best renderer…lol and I have fprime).

After looking at your images more closely. I will have to say no. You will not be able to get that realism withoyut advanced rendering.

How the heck am I gonna whip out a 800 dollars at this time?

Thanks though :).

u can! u can get them! just mess around with the reflectiveness, and use raytracing :)…

I dont think you need vray :slight_smile:

Can you make one in 3DSM? Just a sphere incredible shiny and green like the alienware tower I provided you with.

I’m not being sarcastic, I’d SERIOUSLY would like to see it done without plugins…

i’m pretty sure. There must be a way. I know maya can do it, and almost positive that max can do it. It’ll be a bunch harder tho :slight_smile: without plugins.

i’m not up to doing it in max now though :slight_smile: I havent touched the thing in a year.

The images he showed have radiosity, HDRI and some advanced gi. You can get a good shiny material but it will not be nearly as photo-realistic. Hang out at cgtalk and ask around there. If it can be done they would know. I have not cracked max in a while (Im on zbrush and silo right now)

good luck

Why would you not want to use a 3rd party renderer? Max 6 ships with mental ray 3.1. I’ve used other renderers and mental ray really blows most of them out of the water, you just need to know what settings to play with.

Even if you don’t want to use a 3rd party renderer the Max default renderer has advanced lighting built in now (radiosity + GI)… it’s slow as buggery compared with mental ray though, and no where near as good.

Here’s something I whipped up very quickly using the multi-layer shader on a material to get as near as I could to the material on that alien PC render. It’s rendered in mental ray and took about 1min 30 seconds on a 2ghz PC with 512mb RAM. Nice and quick.

edit: I know it doesn’t look exactly the same as the metal texture on the alien PC render… but it was a quick render.

Yea thats really great :thumb:!

As Ironi said, MR is really the best to go on (as far as my own experience takes me), but if you want an easy to use 3rd party renderer, I’d still suggest VRay, it’s all the pennies worth, I get my renders done (settings wise) in less than 30 secs. Just a basic setting that works good in most cases.

But if you have max6 already, give MR a run, there’s a bunch of tut’s scattered all over :wink:

(think I’m gonna bug my dad for CAT too… he just bought a brandnew car, and I’m flat broke for this month :scream:… he bought it for about 40000$ :scream: :scream:

he really likes his new job+salary :stuck_out_tongue:

Sharif you can do many things without the best plug-ins. The images you posted almost all use HDRi map. Can’t render with it ? Create an enormous sphere around you’re scene, give it a brightness/radiosity and you’ve got your HDRi map (of course a 10x longer render)… as for shaders, the alienware case used anisotropic reflection; I dunno if you can have one in 3ds, I know you can in C4D:

thats was real and simple and nice mlk.

Yea MLK that is amazing.

I need some tutorials that will help me learn about GI and Protons and Radiosity and HDRI and whatnot. The only thing I know is Global Illumination which is I’m guess environment light?

I don’t even know what they do in the first place. So anything on what they are might help :).

Go to your materials. Creat a new one with a raytrace. Then on the diffuse and reflect put those as fall off and set them to fresnel. On the diffuse set the top color at whatever you want. Then on reflect put it at a dark gray. There you go. That’s as close to the Alienware render material as your gunna get unless there is another way.

Thanks for the help. Will definetly get back to this thread later ;).

GI is global illumination. You can fake it using a light dome.
Radiosity and HDRI are closely linked. You can render a scene with HDRi without any lights in you scene. HDRI is an environment map which is realistic; that is, it truely saves the radiance of the scene; the ‘strength’ of lights - where as normal photos cannot hold enough information.

edit: here’s what i googled up:http://www.highpoly3d.com/writer/tutorials/hdri/hdri.htm google up the rest

Here’s a quick over view of each concept:

Global illumination is the effect of light bouncing off objects. The bounced light changes the colour of the rendered pixel. How it bounces and how long it bounces is up to the settings you use, but tweak them enough and you’ll get something nice.

Radiosity is the effect of bounced light changing colour slightly depending on the colour of the object it is striking. Say if you have a white plane and a green sphere then there will be a slight green tinge on the white plane where the green sphere’s colour bounces.

Photons are in real life ‘particles’ of light. Mental Ray uses a photon emission system to simulate the passage of light through 3D space and trace the bounced photons to create global illumination, caustic and final gather effects. Other renderers use similar terminology, but I think mental ray is the only one I’ve seen that actually calls it a photon.

HDR is High Dynamic Range. It’s an image that stores dynamic lighting information so that light emission and reflection appears more realistic. You can get away without ever using this, but once you do you’ll find your renders just that bit more realistic.

I’m going to be writing some more tutorials soon, including some on getting your head around mental ray’s bewildering amount of options. You can check out this tutorial I wrote recently if you want to know more about the fundamentals of 3D:

http://www.nexuschronicles.com/tutorials.php?action=view&id=7&ht=1

Thanks a bunch =).