SOTW needs a minimum post rule

It’s really easy to get burned out in the Site Check forum with all of the people who just want their ego stroked, so we all take a break from time to time.

Rengirl is right. If you don’t like the quality of the reviews, make your own reviews better.

If you want a Pick of The Week, with a critique, then make one. As stated above, I doubt anyone will stop you.

Rengirl and the rest of the mods put a ton of energy each week just to give SOTW the attention it deserves. I know I spend at least a couple hours going thru the sites, making notes, and that is just the first time I go thru them. I know for a fact that other mods do the same.

It was asked one time how to become a mod… This is a good example. If you think there is a hole, become proactive, make a plan, and follow it through. Should there be a problem, Kirupa and the mods will handle it in an way that is fair to as many as possible.

Rev

*Originally posted by lostinbeta *
You don’t think these people will be offended and not want to come back, but instead feel that maybe they should submit week after week after week until their site is finally picked to get a review?

does this happen in SOTW?

do you see everyone come back once their site doesn’t win? And this is actually for an award, not just a critique…

They all get critiques though, do they not?

good point lib

*Originally posted by reverendflash *
It’s really easy to get burned out in the Site Check forum with all of the people who just want their ego stroked…

Amen to that!

*Originally posted by lostinbeta *
**They all get critiques though, do they not? **

I should have been more clear. We’re talking about different things. SOTW is for an award. My question was: do people keep submitting even after they didn’t win the award?

but anyways, what’s wrong if people submit every week? All I’d (or whoever else wants to do this with me) would have to do is pick one at random. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with people trying every week.

Raf:

go ahead, get it started. You are just stating the same thing over and over again. If you think this is a hole, then fill that hole. You seem to have the time…

Rev

No… SOTW is also about getting a critique. I always repeat this every week: “One of the valuable aspects of SOTW is to get valuable feedback about your site and get an idea of how well it stands beside some of the best on the web.”

So basically, we’ve already implemented your idea, only we do it to 10 people each week. However, SOTW is for sites that have already worked out the basic kinks and are aiming for greater advancement. They are not for people who just learned flash. And ofcourse to compare since, you can get some idea of what you are doing wrong if you look at something that works well.

And again - no one is stopping you from just randomly picking someone from Site Check and giving it a good reply.

*Originally posted by lavaboy *
I should have been more clear. We’re talking about different things. SOTW is for an award. My question was: do people keep submitting even after they didn’t win the award?

Actually no, it does happen, but not everyone re-submits.

And if they do resubmit, we usually expect to see some changes made according to the critique it recieved when last entered. Usually there is a reason it didn’t get voted for, and we critique that reason. Although sometimes it is just an extremely hard choice between sites, that is a different story though.

You can’t very well re-submit according to previous critiques when you are submitting just to be able recieve critiques in the first place IMO.

Wow… Man… You guys really get fun to look through… I read a bunch of the lines but thought I’d post at the original thought…

First thing is first… SOTW scares me… I definetly don’t wanna put my “designing” skills up against anyone… Especcially seeing as how I’m just a lonely “programmer”. But… I would place my site in site check if need be… But I never visit the two…

I think if you guys should do anything it should be that the site check and sotw forums get posted in the “talk” section under the forums…

About the 20 post minimum rule… Are you forgetting that Random can not “tally” up your post count anymore? So what happens when someone gets on here and doesn’t know much about Flash MX… or doesn’t get on alotto help people out? I get on alot and I usually don’t see many threads in Flash MX and Actionscript or Server Side Scripting that have 0 replies to them! What are these people suppose to do then?

I think we have alot of great people helping out already and if these guys want to just post their site out of the blue how is that any different from posting someone elses’ site out of the blue…

If I were to post a site that I thought was cool… How would that person ever get recognition for this award? And… Would the person that won the award really care about coming and posting in the forums then? I’m sure there are some cases when they will but still. It’s the same thing.

If you’re a designer… One of the biggest things can be word of mouth about your website… That is a good point… But the fact is… When you are a designer and you want to win awards for your site… You need to work at that yourself. Kirupa does a great job of advertising the fact that he gives out awards and if someone stumbled in here and placed their site in the SOTW, then I don’t think they should be limited to the number of posts that they contribute. I think this will turn more people away from posting their site than anything.

As for the critiques… I have never posted a site nor have I ever given a critique… Personally my critiques would be the one liners… And I think the person receiving them should be **** glad I don’t give them a full report… Some people are not designers and when they throw alot of bad design tips at you… And you implement them… What’s going to happen then? You’ll get pissed off at the person who gave you the ideas.

Great designers like guig0, rengirl and EG however are better suited for giving reports on websites than I am… Therefore I let them review whenever possible… If I were to review it would look like…

“Hey man… it was a pretty cool looking site… Had problems with the nav system but other than that… Great!”

Just my opinion… :slight_smile:

~~ playamarz ~~

*Originally posted by playamarz *

Especcially seeing as how I’m just a lonely “programmer”. But…

About the 20 post minimum rule… Are you forgetting that Random can not “tally” up your post count anymore? So what happens when someone gets on here and doesn’t know much about Flash MX… or doesn’t get on alotto help people out? I get on alot and I usually don’t see many threads in Flash MX and Actionscript or Server Side Scripting that have 0 replies to them! What are these people suppose to do then?

If you’re a designer… One of the biggest things can be word of mouth about your website… That is a good point… But the fact is… When you are a designer and you want to win awards for your site… You need to work at that yourself.

Kirupa does a great job of advertising the fact that he gives out awards and if someone stumbled in here and placed their site in the SOTW, then I don’t think they should be limited to the number of posts that they contribute. I think this will turn more people away from posting their site than anything.

As for the critiques… I have never posted a site nor have I ever given a critique… Personally my critiques would be the one liners… And I think the person receiving them should be **** glad I don’t give them a full report…

~~ playamarz ~~ **

wow, that you did a whole thing by yourself there…

1. it’s spelled poorgrammer… hehe

2. I had forgotten about that…

3. So the people who aren’t out to get an award shouldn’t get one? I think they should be pleasantly surprised. With a sandwitch.

4. This was a consideration for SOTW at the beginning, but that died, and then we stared talking about some “extensive” site checks. I think min posts should definitely apply to that…

5. haha

P.S. Hey playa… you gonna be busy tonight? I’m posting the instructions on the template for the player when I get home.

*Originally posted by playamarz *
… Had problems with the nav system…

Even if you’re not a designer, you’re still a surfer. A one liner like that is worth a lot. You don’t have to post a detailed essay to give a valid critique. I have posted my site a couple times for a critique and I’ve gotten one-liners like “Popups don’t work.” It has helped me a lot.

I should be on for a little while… I’m coming down with a nasty *** stomach flu it seems… it’s been tiring me out the past couple of days…

And Ren girl… Yeah I understand that and if I had the time I’d drop a line on people’s sites :slight_smile:

But typically I’m stuck iNR andom or I’m in the 3 help forums I go to… aka MX, AS, and SS Scripting.

:beam: playamarz :player:

ok… I’ve read enough without putting my thoughts out there… I think the current system is fine. It has potential to work far better, but the structure is there (I’m speaking of site check, and the ideas for that - SOTW is fine, well run and well executed) it just needs people to put forth the effort to make it better, ie members. My problem with the site check section is the “cushy reviews” in it. I have seen some of the worst designs ever placed in that section and people will say “good start”, “I’d work on the colors”, etc. I think that people need to be a little more hard nosed when reviewing otherwise no one is going to improve all that much. I know what is coming… “well why don’t you get in there and give some harsh crit yourself?” I agree, but to be honest when I look at a thread, see a site that is terrible, and then read a bunch of these comments, I’d feel bad adding on that it really isn’t anything I’d want to look at for more than 10 secs. Thats how I’ve felt from day one here. I’m not saying we need to be mean, but a little more honesty would be nice (cuz I’ve read comments that people can’t really mean - I hope not).

Just trying to get away from the candy coated design world that seems to be popping up in forums all over the web - apparently everyone’s good right now.

Peace