Creation or Evolution

You are telling me how not to be offensive, yet being offensive at the same time.

I smell irony

how was I being offensive? how is the word ass offensive? I wasn’t calling you an ass I was merely stating that you shouldn’t say things that are offensive because it can make you seem like an as****s. This is a debate forum, for debates, not arguments. If you want to argue with someone talk to my girlfriend… she loves to argue. Debate should not offend, merely offer evidence of opposing view points.

edit: trust me, if I thought it would be taken as offensive I wouldn’t have posted it.

Oh, and even if “as****s” is offensive its a lot less offensive than saying

I think you are a weak-hearted fool for believing in religions and gods. They are only there because you can accept the inevitable. They are only there because you are weak and can’t accept that life is pointless… Everything you believe in… everything you base your world and your life around is pointless…

Which is basically what you said… slightly elaborated on…

I remember hearing / reading once that there was indeed a great flood back in ‘biblical’ times.

However, it wasn’t caused by an act of God, but by a meteor striking the Earth, effecting a worldwide change in the weather.

I think similar things are predicted to happen were one to hit Earth today… :slight_smile:

*Originally posted by Kitiara *
**I remember hearing / reading once that there was indeed a great flood back in ‘biblical’ times.

However, it wasn’t caused by an act of God, but by a meteor striking the Earth, effecting a worldwide change in the weather.

I think similar things are predicted to happen were one to hit Earth today… :slight_smile: **
Could that meteor have been sent by God? I think people assume that because “science” has explained something that God could not have done it. God is science, and science is God.

trickery from god, to test our faith! -Bill Hicks haha Bill Hicks is hilarious…

“Eternal D.A.M.Nation awaits those that question God’s infinite love. Ahahahahaha” - Bill Hicks…

. . .

While im not entirely sure about Darwin’s Theories of Evolution, i do believe in Selective Adaptation, as it makes a lot of sense. But to take that and say that we evolved from ameobas’s, i think goes too far…

Is it not possible to merge creationism and evolution? …Such as - “The Big Bang Theory - God Spoke, and ‘BANG’ it happened” and so on…

Those on the religious side base their beliefs on faith, and faith alone, not science. Those who opt to believe in the Science of Man, as opposed to the divinity of God must bear this is mind; Scientists prooved that Bee’s cannot fly. So much for science, eh??

I think the offended party chooses what is offensive to him/her. Therefore the offending party is powerless to be inoffensive in everyone’s eyes. However, when ideas are accuratley communicated, its obvious who is trying to be diplomatic and who is trying to be insulting. Its just that forumtext doesnt convey attitude perfectly.

Time is a ghost. What I mean is, it really doesn’t exist. Think about it - time is something that man created in order for him to understand things better… “When did that happen? It happened yesterday - 24 hours ago.”

Time gives men perspective. It’s what we’re used to. But when you think about it, time really doesn’t exist. It’s just something in our heads.

People are caught up in thinking there was a beginning and will be an end because that’s what we’re used to, that’s how we explain it. Who’s to say there really was that dawn of time? Who’s to say that there was a beginning? How come things couldn’t just have been?

RedMirrorBall:

My post about the flood, if you re read it, you will see that I say it flooded much of the KNOWN world, which was from about egypt to south of Russia. There are many scientific theories supporting the claim that the Black sea was indeed that great flood. And it is mentioned in many diffrent ancient scripts. AS for Noah, well he probobly didnt gather EVERY species on his boat, sure as hell not, but its possible he put some. He might have beleived that this is a great world wide flood, so he could have taken some animals with him. But it wasnt, it was big but not world wide.

• vaccines for any number of formerly DEADLY diseases that “god” was perfectly willing to allow you and your innocent little children to die from
  • cheap electricity delivered right to your home for heat, cooling and light (“god” was quite content to have you sit in the dark, cold and miserable)

• transportation also comes to mind. betcha you own an internal combustion engine or two. and, when it comes time to go visit Aunt Martha out in california it’s really nice to be able to get there in 4 hours on a plane instead of 4 months!

-Do some research on vaccines. You will see that more children die from vaccines in America than die from the desesses they were “created” to stop. My children are not vaccinated and they are much healthier than other kids their ages. Getting a childhood illness like messels makes your immune system stronger. It learns from each infection and designs antibodies to stop the next attack. That to me is God working.

-So before electricity was invented we were all dark cold and miserable? Wow, must have been a lot of really sad people before the late 1800’s That is a long time to be sad. Ever think they may have been happier with their simple lives than we are today working 24 hours a day 7 days a week 365 days a year? Because that is what electricity gave us.

-Before we had “good” transportation families lived closer together. You would have been able to see Aunt Martha every day insted of just your yearly trips to the nursing home to make sure she is still alive.

God is everywhere and in everything. He is so close that most of us are to blind to see him. The Indians were right with thier gods, the Aztecs were with theirs, and even the Greeks were right with theirs. All faiths essentally belive in the same things, they just create different names and different rituals to define God.

“He is so close that most of us are to blind to see him”

Mmm-Hmmm. Interesting

If we are better of today than in 2000 bc, that does not prove or support atheism. And if we are worse off today than in 2000 bc, that does not prove or support theism.

the importance of faith to theism cannot be used as an argument against it, unless faith is first argued against.

argument :
(A) faith has no place in a reasonable set of beliefs
(B) theism requires faith
therefore
© theism is not a reasonable set of beliefs

**I challenge (A). **
ALL reasonable sets of beliefs require faith of SOME kind. There is no logical argument that can be built without a foundation. That foundation comes from somewhere. If it doesn’t come from logic, it comes from faith.

evolution is not fact.

micro-evolution occurs daily, but macro-evolution is impossible and requires a leap of faith.

micro-evolution accounts for the changes in skin color, adaptations to climate…etc.

macro-evolution delves into molten rock into a living organism.

inanimate to animate…

Science has been unable to prove this part, so it is just assumed. Assuming something is true without proof is faith.

I personally hold to being created. Makes much sense :wink:

I just wish that evolution would not be written as it is scientific fact…I remember when the science textbooks still read “this process MAY HAVE happened due to something called evolution…”

Now it just declares it as fact.

Yet, creation isn’t once expouned upon.

Both require faith…

Everyone has faith in something.

Everyone.

If we’re created, who created He who did the creating? Is that not a form of evolution? Something from nothing? Is the better explanation that He is ‘just there?’

being created we automatically think everything is created, because we know no other existence.

we were created, we create, so what created us must be created?

It may not answer everyone’s questions, but I love the statement

“I am that I am”

Some things just don’t bother my mind, that may sound naive- but it isn’t out of blind ignorance- the awesome power that I’ve experienced personally in my life through my faith in the One Living God, has been enough to believe in everything else that He has said or done.

It is a personal experience and cannot hold up to the feeble scrutiny of a physical imperfect world trying to contain something that exists outside of it. Even I don’t truly understand some things, but I do know what kind of things I have experienced and seen in myself and people around me.

Billy Graham’s quote is amazing…

“I’ve never seen the wind, I’ve seen the effects of the wind, but I’ve never seen the wind…there’s a mystery to it.”

*Originally posted by prstudio *
**“I’ve never seen the wind, I’ve seen the effects of the wind, but I’ve never seen the wind…there’s a mystery to it.” **

eh, I’m not impressed. That’s to imply reality, or that which can be understood, is held within the confines of that which can be seen - a single sense which can no more define for us full explanation of anything than our hearing can. Even together, those senses will not give us full knowledge of any one thing. The real truth is that we know very little - of this world and of our selves. Those who think they know, do not know. That’s not to say their thinking may be wrong. They may be right in their thinking but … you don’t know. Faith is that which allows us to continue with our thinking with the confidence that perhaps we our not wrong in what our understanding of this world - this life - is. Without that faith, you have nothing because, to yourself, you are nothing.

*Originally posted by senocular *
**Faith is that which allows us to continue with our thinking with the confidence that perhaps we our not wrong in what our understanding of this world - this life - is. Without that faith, you have nothing because, to yourself, you are nothing. **

Exactly right. Faith is essential.

Evolution may be what is happening today, but even if you fully “believe” in evolution how do you explain the beginning. If we all came from a single cell where did the cell come from? I personally believe that God created Adam and Eve and we all are offspring of them, but the Bible doesn’t explain how He created Adam and Eve or any of the other things created in the first 7 days. Those 7 days may have not even been days as we know them. Man created “days” based on the amount of time it takes the Earth to make 1 full revolution (day and night). Well, before the Earth was formed what would a day be? 7 days could have been 700 years, or 7 seconds, or not even time as we think of it. In that time (or absence of time) He could have created a single celled organisim that has since spawned all that “is” today.

Again, who created Him?

Chicken or the egg? Master or the slave?

If He was “building” all that is without time, then why would He need to have been created? Without time you have no beginning and no end.

“I am the Alpha and the Omega, says the Lord God, who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty” (Revelation 1:8).