Netscape 7... Anyone tried it?

Sorry for assuming you didn’t know. I always jump to conclusions, it is a flaw in my personality.

For the users point of view, if I can’t use IE, I want Netscape…lol. Those other third party browsers don’t seem to cut it for me. I like the look better in IE and I like being able to view most of the sites on the web the way they are meant to be seen, not the way they are changed to fit in with Netscape.

You know what I find really funny with netscape though? Their own web page has a small little glitch that happens only in NS. If you go to their site you will notice the right margin is still white, but all the other sides are flush with the edge of the browser. If you view it in IE, it all works perfectly. I giggle inside everytime I see that.

I am beginning to hate DHTML and thinking about giving up learning. I just can’t do it that well, but I don’t usually quit things, I guess I can try a little more.

[SIZE=1]i also prefer IE.

but what a lot of people fail to realize, is that the new AOL 8 uses
NS and not IE any more. For the longest time, AOL’s browser was
really just an integrated IE. But the new deal they signed after
the contract with Microsoft ended, puts NS in instead.

What does this mean?

It means for designers and coders that they now HAVE to pay
attention to NS. I know a lot of designers that simply ignore the
mistakes in NS viewing of their designs, and pawn it off as “no big
deal” becuase such a small % of surfers to their sites us NS any more…

well, well, well…NOT ANY MORE!

When you’ve got MILLIONS of surfers on AOL, and now moving to
NS…aww man, do you see where I’m going with this? :-\

I’m downloading NS 7 now cuz I didn’t realize the the new AOL
was already released without any big announcement, and I need
to be sure to test all my designs thoroughly.

Personally, I’m not thrilled about any of this, but alas, my passion
must continue no matter the adversity! I see it as a new
challenge…ONWARD HO! :pirate:

/unflux
:goatee:[/SIZE]

Yep, that is why I am crankin on my next version of my site. I created my current version with some DHTML and Javascript that I don’t feel like figuring out for NS.

So now I have to create a new version that is compatible for both because AOL is now switched to NS and absolutely sucks!

*Originally posted by lostinbeta *

You know what I find really funny with netscape though? Their own web page has a small little glitch that happens only in NS. If you go to their site you will notice the right margin is still white, but all the other sides are flush with the edge of the browser. If you view it in IE, it all works perfectly. I giggle inside everytime I see that.

Actually, I get nailed with that same quirk…it has to do with a spacer.gif that they forget to upload…IE ignores it, Netscape needs it…:slight_smile:

I have used IE for years, since I felt that NS sucked from a user’s point of view…I only used it to QA my sites…:-\

I’m just trying it out…:sleep: I’ve only had it installed for a couple days:cool:

and Unflux…that is the main reason I decided to try NS (I haven’t had it installed on my machine permanantly since 4.5 kept crashing my w98 machine:evil:

my opinion is still undecided:P

Rev:elderly:

Is it the spacer image?

I thought it was because they declared the rightmargin code wrong. I have tried to make a site in Netscape way back when that had no margins, and when I tested it in Netscape, all margins were gone, except the right one. I never figured it out, and it never made sense to me.

that is what always screws up my stuff, anyway:)

I just assumed it was the same:cool:

When I was teaching beginning JavaScript a few years back, we had to tell students to test in IE, it is going to be very popular:-\

Of course they were on (scary) PowerMacs:( what a pain that was to learn JavaScript and HTML4 on a Mac:nerd:

I think I still have the same headache:P

HAHA, I am so glad I have a PC. I only like macs for graphics. I have had many bad experiences with using Macs for anything else but graphics.

Macs are another thing that interpret everything wrong in browsers (no matter if IE or Netscape) :evil:

I should probably take some class or get some books to teach me more javascript. Sometimes the O’Reilly reference supplied with DW isn’t enough to help me understand.

I used to work with a geek who loved to custom code JavaScript and DHTML…:asian:

It took me hours to alter his scripts after he left:*(

no, no, I don’t want pity:P

HAHA, you should have had him teach you how he did what he did :stuck_out_tongue: That way it would be easier to edit and learn :slight_smile:

But yeah, I am sure I wouldn’t have done that. I would have been stuck in the same position as you.

Javascript and DHTML are real fun when you get things to work, but they are real frustrating when you are stuck getting stupid errors like “document.write(“Hello World”) is not defined” and you can’t find out what the heck to fix.

yup:beard:

That is why I never really got into AS in Flash 5…:-\

It looked and acted too much like DHTML:(

Now, I have to learn, but at least it is easier now=) I have a book on order…:stuck_out_tongue: should be here in a couple of days:P

Then, the questions will come:o

OOO, a book!? Which book would that be?

can’t remember the title, I’ll let you know when I receive it…:elderly:

it is about connecting with databases, Flash remoting, and of course AS…=)

Very nice =)

I decided to go that way, since most of my clients are connecting to a database, and like to admin their content themselves=)

It also saves me from the tedious updates:P

Next I have to figure out a demo project to learn on:-\ hopefully something I can challenge my egghead brother with :evil:

Hey, why isn’t your brother a part of this forum :evil: :stuck_out_tongue:

I guess he is just too good for us…haha :slight_smile:

his hobby is collecting glass:nerd:

so he is on those forums:nerd:

plus we think totally difference (hence the dosmentes site) and you guys don’t need to read us arguing:P

We are very close, but think from different sides of the brain:sleep:

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I get it.

I am in a completely different world in terms of brains with my family. I am absolutely nothing like anyone in my entire family. Very weird indeed, but we all get along so it works out.

Collecting Glass… interesting hobby, sure beats collecting pet rocks :slight_smile:

in my opinion, just about collecting pet rocks!:stuck_out_tongue:

oops, breakfast is burning:*(

EDIT: just about as boring :o

serves me right for trying to cook and use the 'puter at the same time:nerd:

Yea i like 7.0!! Im thinking of switching from ie6 to N7.0
=)

I’m still on the fence, but its’ growing on me:P